July 25, 2009

July 25, 2009
What God has brought together....

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

My Valentine Proposal

I am one of those girls who really isn't in to the whole roses and candy and forced love because the calendar, and society, says you have to. In fact, I would much prefer to celebrate love every day. I have tried to make it a special day for my kids so that they know they are loved by me and especially by a loving God. If you read my blog last year you know about the "Pink Party" tradition my family started. If you haven't read that, you can here: http://robinsonfamily2009.blogspot.com/2012/02/our-pink-party.html.

Anyway, 4 years ago, I was a widow with 5 kids and I had met a wonderful, sweet, and Godly man. We had been dating for awhile and I already knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I was pretty sure he felt the same way. However, he hadn't asked me yet. I was sure he would pick a fabulous way and an equally fabulous day, like Christmas or New Years Eve or even New Years Day. All three of those days had come and gone with no question and no ring. I was beginning to wonder.

I discussed it with my bestest friend, my cousin Summer. She said "Maybe he is waiting to ask you on Valentine's Day!" I replied, "Uh, no, pretty sure not that day." She was confused because she had met him and she was also pretty sure he was smitten with me as well. So she questioned how I could be so sure. I sheepishly said "Well, we were talking about Valentine's Day and how so many people become engaged or get married on that day and I sort of said I thought it was hokey! I told him I would never want a Valentine's wedding or proposal." She was flabbergasted! "Tell him you changed your mind!" As if that would make a difference. "Yeah, right, like he would believe that. I guess I'll just have to wait and wonder."

Well, Valentine's day was approaching and he told me he wanted to do something with me that day. My sweet friend Sandy came the Friday before to be part of our pink party and to watch the kids on Saturday. We had our pink party and made plans for him to pick me up the next morning.

As we were leaving my house, he handed me a small envelope and a rose. In the envelope were a card with a message from my brother, a card with a message from my cousin and a little note explaining it. The note said that my house was the place he first met my family and he knew how special they are to me. There was another small card that just said 'Will'. Next, we drove to the Highschool and parked by the football field. He handed me another rose and a card from Nathan and a note that explained this place. The note said that this was the first time I asked him to pray with me when Nathan had been injured playing football. Another small card inside just had the word 'You'. I was crying from the sweet things Nathan had to say and the realization of where this was going. He decided not to give me any more of the One word cards until later.

Putting the cards in order

The day continued with visits to many of the places we had visited while dating. The last place was a small spot on the 5 mile drive at Point Defiance park overlooking the water. He handed me all the cards that had one word on them and asked me to put them in order. While I was busy working he played the guitar and sang worship songs. When all together they said "Will You Spend The Rest Of Your Life" and then he pulled one more out of his shirt pocket that said "With Me" and had a ring attached! I was speechless! He had managed to surprise me. I later found out that he had also sent me the same message in texts over a number of days. The first word of the first text each day was one of the words in the proposal message. I guess it goes without saying, he puts a lot of thought into things! :)
The sunset right before the proposal

Later when I asked him why he decided on Valentine's Day after what I had said he replied "Because I knew it would be the last day you would think I would do it."

So now Valentine's Day has new meaning for me. It is the day he asked and I said Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment